Game of Thrones fans know Maisie Williams best as the most awesome kid in Westeros, Arya Stark, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface. Here are five facts about Maisie that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. She never acted before playing Arya. Although it seems like Maisie is a seasoned vet in the acting biz, GoT was actually her first gig. She was only 12 years old when she got the job. Can you say prodigy?
2. She considers herself a dancer. Maisie has become world famous as an actress, but her first love was dance. She attended Susan Hill’s School of Dance at age 10, and through this experience gained an agent, which eventually led her to the role of Arya. She then danced her way straight into our hearts.
3. She learned to be left-handed. In the A Song of Ice and Fire book series, the character of Arya is left-handed. Maisie is right-handed. Even though only the most hardcore fans would have noticed the difference, Maisie wanted to portray the character as accurately as she could. So she trained in sword fighting with her left hand. Now that’s commitment to her craft!
4. She has an interesting pet. It’s not a direwolf! Maisie actually owns a tortoise. His name is Barney and she describes him as “simple.” Maisie also claims that if she could warg into any animal, it would be him.
5. She inspires baby names. Arya was the fastest-growing baby name in the U.S. last year, and we have to think it was due to Maisie’s portrayal. Now how about some love for the actress? Let’s see some baby Maisies out there!